Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I reach the bolts behind the engine of my 1988 Isuzu Trooper suv in order to change the clutch ?

I have a 1988 Isuzu Trooper with 5 speed transmission and an inline 4 cylinder engine. I am used to doing some work on older, domestic vehicles where I can move my large hands about easily. I will need to replace the clutch. It seems to me that there is a ridiculously small, almost nonexistant amount of space between the clutch housing-to-engine bolts and firewall. some bolts I cannot even see. I wonder if anyone has run into this problem? JohnHow do I reach the bolts behind the engine of my 1988 Isuzu Trooper suv in order to change the clutch ?
When you remove the bolts on the rear mounts (at transmission) the entire assembly drop creating an access to the upper bolts. Be sure to drain the fluid from the transmission first or it'll get real messy. You will still have to use a long extension, and posibbly a swivel socket.How do I reach the bolts behind the engine of my 1988 Isuzu Trooper suv in order to change the clutch ?
a lot of times,piece of cake.



long extension(very long) and swivel socket plus drop lite,from drive shaft area.How do I reach the bolts behind the engine of my 1988 Isuzu Trooper suv in order to change the clutch ?
You will have to move the engine forward. What I did was to take off the hood, take off radiator and the front grille. Took out the engine mounts and lifted the enginer slightly off the frame using a lifter. To move the engine a few inches forward, I also needed to disengage the engine propeller shafts and transmission brace and mount. Be sure you have a mount on that tranny case or it will fall down. Took about 4-5 hours work.