Thursday, September 22, 2011

1982 yamaha 650 maxim safety switch, why did my bike freeze?

Hi I have been restoring a 1982 yamaha maxim xj650. I bought this bike last August. The guy I bought it from started it up for me, and it ran fine. The things that needed to be replaced were all cosmetic. I have finally got the bike were I wanted to be. I have put alot of time, elbow grease and money into this project.

This entire time that I have been restoring the bike it has been in neutral, which has made it easier for me to move around.

The very last thing that I had to purchase to get it on the road was a new clutch cable. I took the bike over to my step-fathers house so that he could change the clutch cable for me because I have never changed a clutch cable, and my step-father has built Harley's from the ground up.

After he changed the clutch cable, the bike froze up. Meaning I can't get it into neutral, and I can't start it. I can turn it on and all the lights come on, but when I push the start button, nothing happens. Also when I pull the clutch in the bike won't go in or out of any gears, as if the transmission froze up.

My step-father thinks that it has something to do with the sidestand safety switch, which Harley's don't have.

I have talked to a few mechanics, some of them say that they don't have safety switches,funny I can look right at it, and others are just confused and don't have any suggestions with out me taking my bike in for them to look at. Needless to say I can't get it into neutral and it weighs 800 pounds.

I heard there is a way to bypass this switch.

Anyone know anything, or have any suggetions?? And if there is a way to bypass this switch could you give me a detailed description on how tyo do it??

Thank you so much!!1982 yamaha 650 maxim safety switch, why did my bike freeze?
I think the cable is too tight. If he didn't open the trans nothing changed.Did you ride the bike or try shifting ? No, you got took but the safety switch is not at fault for shifting, it's electrical and mounted on the rear of the kickstand . Take it off,spray with WD40 and push the plunger several times turn it plunger up and remount. I've done it.It's amazing how many early 80s Yamaha's have ? today' good luck checking the trans. And your bike only weighs 450 so check the tire pressure low tires really drag.1982 yamaha 650 maxim safety switch, why did my bike freeze?
You don't need to use the clutch in order to shift gears.

You should be able to shift gears with the engine not running, by just rocking the bike forward and back while moving the shift lever.

Check and make sure the engine isn't locked up.

Remove the left crankcase cover and turn the crankshaft with a wrench.

If it won't turn, you've got major engine problems.1982 yamaha 650 maxim safety switch, why did my bike freeze?
if you can,t get it in our out off any gear then the cluctch cable is out of adjustment ..continue to adjust and shorten the stroke till it will shift..And the safety switch will only affect the starting if the kickstand is down