Thursday, September 22, 2011

Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?

First off its an 89 isuzu trooper 4cyl that I bought for 500$. I havent had a chance to test the feul or compression yet but from what I can see there are no vaccume leeks.

When I bought it last summer the idle was rough and it lunged when going up hill. I changed the plugs and there was a improvement in acceleration when going up hill however it still idled rough. When I went to set the timing it would not improve no matter how much I tried to advance the timing in fact it seemed to run better when I retarded the timing.

The reason I think it was a timing belt job gone wrong is because the guy I bought it from was a ambitious back yard mechanic who would only do half the job, (ie changing the clutch but not the faulty throwout bearing).

Any info other then take it to a mechanic (there's no insurance on it right now) or buy a new car would be appreciated.Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
Having the timing belt a tooth or two off in either direction will definately cause drivability issues. I would definately remove the upper cover and check that.



Also before you trust the mark on the harmonic balancer as if it were carved in stone by god and handed directly to you, remember this:

Most harmonic balancers have an outer steel ring connected to a center hub by rubber. Sometimes they slip. Take out 1 plug and check that the TDC mark is really at TDC.Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
Yes sounds like you have hit the nail on the head. A poor timing belt installation .Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
timing belt or air flow sensorCan a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
It could be the Timing is off in reference to the camshaft and crankshaft. I would remove the belt and realign the marks and check the tensioner as well.Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
check the timing by removing the no.1 plug bring the piston to the top and see where the rotory is pointing on the distributorCan a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
if u haven't been banging the valves i would redo the timing. just make sure all mark are lined up. this will a sure you that this is not the problem.Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
I totally agree that for sure the timing belt should be checked and replaced so you know whats what.Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
Sounds like you're on the right track. If someone like that replaced the belt I'ld check it out. Even if that's not the problem I'ld feel better about it if I checked it over myself if someone unqualified had been working on it..Can a missalignment of a timing belt cause these problems?
Along with these other(excellent) answers. pull your distributor cap and check it for carbon arcing or cracks, as well. It could be a faster, cheaper, answer-----a cracked cap will cause similar symptoms...........
  • reptiles
  • cryptoapi vs capicom
  •