Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Car Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?

I live in San Francisco and I have a 1999 Audi A4, manual transmission. The car is in excellent condition or it was until what happened this Friday. I was climbing up a series of hills and I rode the clutch for a little bit. I was in 1st gear and only went as far as the 2nd gear and never really let go of the clutch. What ended up happening is that the clutch over heated and smoke started coming out of the engine. The car started failing, luckily I had made it to the top of the final hill. Now what is happening is that whenever I start driving, the car is slow to get into 1st gear, the clutch does not seem to hold the 1st gear very well. The car itself has 80,000 miles on it and everything works perfectly besides this little issue. So my question is this:



a. What should I do?

b. If you have had this experience with an Audi where you had to have the Clutch changed, how much did it cost you?Car Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?
I had the same thing happen to me, but i was stuck in traffic.

Your Clutch is toast, and you probably glazed your flywheel.

You need a new clutch and your flywheel resurfaced.

If go you to the dealer expect to fork over 1k+.

You could prob. get it done elsewhere for 700-800.

Good Luck

Oh and this is for Quattro, 2wd will be little cheaper.



Or, buy a Sachs clutch kit for $270 and do the work yourself. goodluck.Car Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?
I would have the clutch replaced asap...



I dont know about that particular model, but i have done my own on my cars. By the sounds of it you dont sound like you have any experience to do it yourself so I would find a reputable import repair shop, or take it to the audi Dealer.Car Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?
well the clutch has no grip/friction plates to grab onto the flywheel to get the power and torque to wheels(assuming u have the AWD A4) now since it is an audi, ur gonna be paying quite a lot for a clutch, and most likely a flywheel as well if thats got some nice burnt marks or scratches on it. basically because u have an audi, ur gonna be paying a lot for the brand of the car, bmws and benzes alike. if u want i can help u find a nice clutch and flywheel if u want me too, i know some sites that provide for ur carCar Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?
try tapping on the clutch a bit, if it doesnt work it means that your clutch was forced to much or it was uder pressure too much basically your clutch is toast, but it will cost you tons of money to repairCar Clutch Question? Audi A4, 1999.?
You have glazed the clutch linings -- burned the surface -- and the clutch friction plate is old %26lt;thin%26gt; so it doesn't push as hard against the pressure plate. NEW CLUTCH !!