Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What can I do to give my car some extra power yet not fear the engine blowing up at the track?

I have a 1986 Nissan 300ZX Turbo and would like to run decent times in the 1/4 and 1/8. What can I do to possibly get to 10-12 seconds but NOT turn it into an all out dragster or have to be changing clutches and engines once a year?



Simply put I want speed and a car that can compete but I don't want the car breaking down on me for a new reason every 2 weeks. Alot of guys I know love showing off garage projects that are fast as hell but cost a few hundred a month in parts and almost always a few tows a year.



Here are some stats



114k miles

Fairly new Clutch (2 years old, less than 5,000 miles)

to untrained eye engine seems to run like new

Turbo seems to run fine

New Exhaust (less than 100 miles)

New Rear tires

Suspension seems fine

Electric seems perfect after buying new high end battery and alternator.





Also, I'm not the most educated person when it comes to cars nor have I ever gotten a car past 120mph for more than a few minutes so if unreliable race cars are simply an ugly reality please be honest and tell me, I'll deal with it. What I don't want is to be half a state away and having my engine blow after running the 1/4 2 or 3 times.



Will it cost me much if I learn to do much of this work on my own? I've done little work on this car myself and I'm always surprised how easy it can be with the right instructions.What can I do to give my car some extra power yet not fear the engine blowing up at the track?
If reliability is a concern, I strongly advise against upgrading your car. Running a stock, commercial vehicle at such high speeds constantly does a number on your engine and transmission.



If you just want a little extra HP, I'd suggest a chip upgrade first, then maybe upgrade your turbocharger.